Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Roasted Shrimp with Tomatoes


Tonight’s meal has Greek-inspired flavors and is everything I look for in a recipe—it’s super easy, fast, healthy, and frugal.  This is a true thirty minute meal that doesn’t use a lot of processed ingredients.  From start to finish, you really can have this on the table in thirty minutes, and you don’t have to be an expert with a chef’s knife to make it happen.  The entrée recipe comes from All You magazine.

Roasted Shrimp with Tomatoes

Ingredients
2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 ½ lbs. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Drain tomatoes, reserving ½ cup juice. Combine tomatoes, reserved juice, oil and garlic in an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until tomatoes are bubbling, about 15 minutes.
2. Stir shrimp and oregano into tomatoes. Sprinkle goat cheese on top. Return to oven and bake until shrimp are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Tomatoes, garlic, and oil ready for the oven


While the tomatoes are roasting, it's a quick job to remove the tails from the shrimp

Adding the shrimp and feta--no measuring, just eyeballed it

This recipe is quoted on the website as seven minutes for prep and 25 minutes in the oven.  It actually went more quickly than that for me because I used the precooked medium shrimp from Aldi, so I only had to toss the shrimp with the tomatoes and let them warm, which only takes about 5 minutes in the oven.  This is one recipe that I don’t measure for at all.  Actually, when I made it this time I wasn’t paying close enough attention and I used only one can of tomatoes, and it still turned out great, which just goes to show it’s pretty fool-proof.  I use crumbled feta when it calls for goat cheese, and of course I use a bit more garlic than it calls for.

All Aldi ingredients


Plated up and ready to enjoy

As you can see, this is a pretty healthy recipe, without a lot of fat and tons of nutrients in the tomatoes.  It’s also economical—my entire menu tonight, down to the salt and pepper, came from Aldi.  To keep the healthy thing going through the meal, I served instant brown rice and a vegetable blend on the side.  I wouldn’t usually use “instant” anything, but real brown rice takes soooooo long to cook that I make this concession, and it helps keep the meal under thirty minutes.  I make it with chicken broth rather than water to give it a little extra flavor, and I leave out butter and salt.  The veggies just get a quick steam in salted water, and they’re ready to go at the same time as the rice.  Watermelon balls round out the meal and are an authentic Greek-style dessert.  Our dinner guest, Katie, provided a lovely wine to go with the meal.  It was clearly a hit—here’s a look at the table when we were all done!  I also have Katie to thank for being my photographer tonight.  She's the reason there are so many pictures this time!
All done!

2 comments:

  1. Look at us and our food blogs. Why couldn't we have stayed closer when we lived 30 MILES apart hahaha. I blame myself and lack of transportation. I was so tickled to find this site the other day, and I'm so excited to keep up with you and your lovely family. You dine in, I'll dine out, and we'll both consider our dining a success! Love you much and can't wait to run into you (Midwest OR Penn) again!
    -Leah.
    PS- I don't think I've ever had shrimp with feta. I'm sure it was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sooo delicious! Looking forward to you future posts! Your blog is soo cute! Have a great day!
    -Ruth Ann

    ReplyDelete